I am a social-personality psychologist and my research focuses on how status, emotions, and the self shape interpersonal life. I study these broad areas of research using a variety of methods that include controlled laboratory experiments, ethological observations, and psychophysiological assessments.
I was born and raised in Poway, California. I received my undergraduate and graduate training in social psychology from UC Berkeley. I am currently an Assistant Professor of psychology at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- Close Relationships
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Group Processes
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Organizational Behavior
- Political Psychology
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Kraus, M. W., & Chen, T. D. (in press). A winning smile? Smile intensity, physical dominance, and fighter performance. Emotion.
- Kraus, M. W., Tan, J., & Tannenbaum, M. B. (in press). The social ladder: A rank-based perspective on social class. Psychological Inquiry.
- Kraus, M. W., & Chen, S. (2009). Striving to be known by significant others: Automatic activation of self-verification goals in relationship contexts. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 97, 58-73.
- Kraus, M. W., Chen, S, & Keltner, D. (2011). The power to be me: Power elevates self-concept consistency and authenticity, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47, 974-980.
- Kraus, M. W., Côté, S., & Keltner, D. (2010). Social class, contextualism, and empathic accuracy. Psychological Science, 21, 1716-1723.
- Kraus, M. W., Huang, C., & Keltner, D. (2010). Tactile communication, cooperation, and performance: An ethological study of the NBA. Emotion, 10, 745-749.
- Kraus, M. W., & Keltner, D. (2009). Signs of socioeconomic status: A thin-slicing approach. Psychological Science, 20, 99-106.
- Kraus, M. W., Piff, P. K., & Keltner, D. (2009). Social class, sense of control, and social explanation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 97, 992-1004.
- Piff, P. K., Kraus, M. W., Côté, S., Cheng, B., & Keltner, D. (2010). Having less, giving more: The influence of social class on prosocial behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99, 771-784.
- Keltner, D., Van Kleef, G. A., Chen, S., & Kraus, M. W. (2008). A reciprocal influence model of social power: Emerging principles and lines of inquiry. In M. A. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 40, 151-192.
- Human Emotion
- Personality Psychology
- Power, Status, and Influence
- Social Psychology
Michael W. Kraus
Department of Psychology
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
603 East Daniel Street
Champaign, Illinois 61820
- Phone: (217) 300-0191